Accidents can be stressful at the best of times, but what happens when the at fault driver is uninsured? The at fault driver is liable for the costs associated with the accident, but with no insurance, it can be a challenge to get them to pay up.
So what can you do? Besides remaining calm at the accident scene, it’s incredibly important as the not at fault driver to make sure to follow the correct steps and processes immediately after your accident, these include
- Immediately following a car accident, it’s important to make sure no one is injured
- Document the accident scene by collecting evidence and taking photos
- Exchange details with the other driver(s)
- Take note of the time of the accident, where it happened, and what the traffic, lighting and weather conditions were
- If anyone refuses to provide their details, call the police to assist you
- It’s important to report your car accident within 24 hours, so if there were no police on scene you will have to visit your local police station to do this
- If your car can no longer drive and needs to be towed, you will need to contact a tow company and stay on scene until they arrive. It’s a great idea to keep the details of a trusted and reputable towing company saved as a contact on your phone – even better, contact Carbiz Assist as soon as possible and let us help you
Once fault has been determined, the next steps include claiming for the damages that have resulted – if the at fault driver is uninsured, there are a couple of ways you can resolve your claim for the costs. These include
- Sorting out the cost of the damage between yourselves. If the other driver is clearly at fault and the damage was only minor, then the option to agree that the at fault driver covers the repair costs is there. This involves providing a repair quote to the at fault driver and them agreeing to cover the costs upfront.
- Contacting your own insurance and making a claim with them for the damage.
If you’re not sure where to start, then it’s best to contact our team as soon as possible – as the not at fault driver you have the right to drive. With end-to-end accident management services, we’ll help you.
Not at fault? Don’t let an accident stop you from securing an accident replacement vehicle – The team at Carbiz is here to help you.