Breakdowns are often frustrating – and can be a hassle, they can happen to anyone for all types of reasons. From a dead battery to mechanical faults, breakdowns can often be unexpected.
Hopefully you have roadside assistance – and if you do, then be sure to pull over to a safe location. Here are some tips on how to stay safe while waiting for help to arrive.
- Look for the safest place to pull over, as far left as possible.
- Turn on your hazards.
- Leave your car from the passenger side if possible (Away from any traffic).
- If it’s not safe to leave your car, then stay seated in your car with your seatbelt fastened.
- Be vigilant and have a constant awareness of your surroundings.
- Knowing where you are is important information to give your roadside assistance support agent, be sure to always have an idea of where you are.
Things to avoid when you have broken down
- Avoid crossing the road at all times.
- Don’t stand on the road, rather move behind any safety barriers.
- Avoid any distractions, such as playing on your phone.
- If you can’t get out of your car, don’t take off your seatbelt.